BEDCO Links
About Bedco
Bedco Meetings
Bedco Projects
      Heritage District          
    
 Powder Creek Park

 

  

BEDCO
Mailing Address:
514 Chestnut Street
Bonham, Texas 75418
Contact: Steve Filipowicz
Executive Director, Economic Development
Office: 903-640-0717 or 903-583-7555 ext 106
Cell: 903-227-0039
Email:sfilipowicz@cityofbonham.org

BONHAM, TEXAS. Bonham, county seat and commercial center of Fannin County, is on U.S. Highway 82 and State highways 78 and 121 on the northern edge of the Blackland Prairie twelve miles south of the Red River. Bonham, one of the oldest towns in Texas, was settled in 1837 when Bailey Inglish built a two-story log fort, Fort Inglish, about a mile east of the present square.   John P. Simpson came soon thereafter, and Inglish and Simpson donated the original town site, known as Bois d'Arc, as an inducement to settlement.  The community was called Bois D'Arc until 1843 when the name "Bloomington" was first requested in the Texas Congress.  The name "Bonham" won over Bloomington in honor of James Butler Bonham, hero of the Alamo.

In 1988 Bonham had 286 businesses, thirteen industries, a daily paper, an airport, an industrial park, the sixty-five-bed Northeast Medical Center (now Red River Regional Hospital), and a library facility completed in 1976. Bonham's population increased from 6,686 in 1990 to 9,990 in 2000, when it had 446 businesses.
 

1888 Fannin County Courthouse (burned in 1929)

Fannin County Courthouse - circa 1960

 

Allen Memorial Hospital (no longer standing)

Mr. Sam's 1947 Cadillac after restoration

 

Cotton Mill Pond (no longer there)

Main Street, looking North from Court House square

Mr. Sam in downtown Bonham circa 1940

 

Downtown Bonham circa 1913

Fannin County Court House burning - 1929

 

Downtown Bonham circa 1890

Mr. Sam Rayburn riding his favorite horse "Pansy" circa 1950

Sam Rayburn House before 1934 remodeling

First Christian Church

 

Bonham High School circa 1911 (where Sam Rayburn Library is now)

 

Russell & Arledge General Merchandise Store

Bonham State Park circa 1955

 

First Methodist Church

5th Street, looking towards Bonham High School circa 1910

 

 

Joseph Klappholz Bargain House

Harris Brothers
North side of square

 

Bonham Post Office circa 1930

 

Bonham circa 1916

 

Morgan's Electric Shop circa 1921

 

Bonham circa 1916

Hill Top Hotel circa 1940's (no longer standing)


Buckhorn Saloon

Street Scene showing trolley circa 1910

Fannin County Bank circa 1872

Bonham High School circa 1950

Coleman and Kennedy Carriage, Buggies & Wagons
(2 blocks south of square on Main Street)


Fannin County Courthouse circa 1950

We gratefully acknowledge the following persons who have contributed pictures to this page: 
 Susan Kirkpatrick & Carol Ebs

 
 

All Rights Reserved 2005  -  BEDCO, Bonham Economic Development Corporation, Bonham, Texas 75418